CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Maturity

Often the missing element of some folks in sobriety...maturity.

Sure it's been 99 years since their last drink, but are they long-winded
when sharing, selfish with emotions or mean-spirited?
Too often I encounter old timers who wear their sobriety like a badge
to display and wield power. In my eyes neither sober nor mature.

I still give kudos to anyone who can stay substance free, provided
they maintain some semblance of humility.

While growing up isn't always as much fun as acting out, it is
essential and rewarding to truly show the newcomer the
benefits of continued recovery.



ODAT Online Recovery Blogs

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Kathy Lynne said...

Thankfully the people that I have met with longterm sobriety are generous, compassionate and continue to stay in service. But I know what you mean and when I do come across someone as you describe, I just stay away. Although we do have one woman in our step group who tosses her 20 years around but doesn't seem to exhibit much sobriety. But I came to see that she needed the group as much as I did and I CAN learn from her. And as the weeks since our group formed I am seeing a change in her. So maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Shadow said...

isn't growing up a big part of becoming sober?! i think so...

 
ga.js