CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 23, 2009

women & alcoholism


from an article in psychology today titled
"women alcoholics; masters of deception"
by Deborah King.

"The inner voice of the alcoholic is a running monologue of excuses, a compendium of denial, a master of deception. I just have to get through this rough patch in my marriage. It's a tough time at work, with all these deadlines approaching. My kids are driving me crazy. Oh, I'll just have a little sip...wouldn't get a fly high."

it is explained in the post how women are

expected to perform a myriad of roles.

due to the various responsibilities many

women have to put on a good front, and

always seem in control.

this leads to hiding and minimizing bouts

of drinking. these behaviors tend to fuel

denial and prevent some women from

seeking help. i have witnessed the struggles

women face from my experience in our

sober house and empathize with the

unique difficulties of seeking an maintaining

sobriety.



ODAT Online Recovery Blogs

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

Everyday (male or female / young or old) one day at a time we must want to be sober just a little more than we want to drink...thanks for the thought provoking post...I just gotta keep it simple for me...

Deborah King said...

John, thanks for sharing my words. Hopefully, they bring more women the support they need to get sober and better understand their addiction.

Best,
Deborah

 
ga.js