CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Summer...a Relapse Bummer?


It seems every year at this time, we see and hear of more people going back out. Is it the lure of the beer at the ballpark, the joint at the picnic or even just the glass of wine at dinner?
There is a certain attraction, especially watching friends and relatives who can drink socially.
That envy certainly took me out many times, always thinking I could recapture that "control magic". Of course, the experiment always ended badly, with the usual guilt, shame and remorse that occurs in the aftermath. Summer is just another excuse, like blaming the spouse or the boss.
The true reason we relapse, is giving in to the primitive mid-brain, that only wants more, overcoming the logical portion of our brain. This leads me to practice the first step every day, reminding myself; once I ingest any drugs or alcohol, all bets are off, and I don't know when it will end. What I DO know , is it will end badly.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i trully believe and identify with you. i think after the initial physical withdraw symptom it comes down to a mental and will desire to put any substance in my body to get out of myself and my unaccepting reality.

Unknown said...

i trully believe and identify with you. i think after the initial physical withdraw symptom it comes down to a mental and will desire to put any substance in my body to get out of myself and my unaccepting reality.

 
ga.js