CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

GRATITUDE


I closed yesterdays' noon AA meeting, with a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11, and those public safety workers injured or killed in the rescue attempts.
With the proliferation of relapses we've witnessed this summer, I have been hearing much talk of making a "gratitude list". While initially skeptical of the value of writing a list of things I should be thankful for, I'm beginning to realize the importance of the exercise.
Sometimes the positive aspects are not recognized and taken for granted. A pessimistic outlook also contributes to the tendency to only see the negative.
The very basic gift of health; which I was squandering with alcohol and cocaine, is the starting point for me. When I see so many people with disabilities, injuries and serious medical conditions, my "poor me" outlook begins to fade.
Initially I was frustrated that there was no quick-fix for addiction; hell, you mean I have to do this recovery gig for more than 90 days before I'm cured?
Today I am grateful that there are rooms full of people, totally diverse but all with one common goal...to stay away from a drink or drug, one day at a time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

 
ga.js