CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Ongoing Journey




"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"... the opening line to "Karn Evil Nine" as sung by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. It kind of reminds me of recovery, and the irrefutable fact that there is no graduation from this program. That does not mean that it can't be an institution of higher learning. Every day, I discover something new about myself, addiction and behavior.
I shared at yesterday's meeting that this is a multifaceted illness, and for me requires a multi pronged approach in treatment.
In past posts I stated there is no one-size-fits-all solution. when I hear people share "I only do this or I have to do that, " dismissing any other possibilities, I have to cringe. There are too many components to my addictive personality, for any one method to address them all. Yes, meetings help, sponsors are useful and prayer is comforting. At yesterdays meeting, we discussed step six; I ask my higher power to improve my character defects, because I do not believe they can be removed. The emotions of anger, resentment, pride and selfishness still exists within me; the major difference now is I can exercise some control over them.
When this alcoholic is active, those negative emotions control me!
Maybe someday the public will realize that there is no time frame for recovery; it is an ongoing process.
ODAT Online Recovery Blogs

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Shadow said...

tell me something... i assumed that alcoholism has no cure, it can only be managed.

others say that as long as you don't drink, you are cured.

what's your uptake???

 
ga.js